Skip to main content

Spiritual Nourishment for Spiritual Warfare

When I became, by Divine Providence, involved in an active apostolate beyond the confines of my family, I dove into studying the faith and the position of the SSPX.


Up to that point, my understanding was based on what I had learned in an SSPX school and in my own random readings.  I realized, with the challenges that I was facing, that I needed to deepen my understanding of the faith, as well as the postion of the SSPX vis-a-vis the documents of the Second Vatican Council.

My reading list since that time has included:
  • Mystici Corporis (my favorite encyclical)
  • The Catechism Explained, Spirago & Clark
  • Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma
  • Catechism of St. Pius X
  • Catechism of the Council of Trent
Some of these I have read from cover to cover, others I use extensively for studying particular questions / subjects. 

When discussing some of the spiritual issues that I was facing with a priest, he gave me some excellent advice. A paraphrase of the advice follows:
Studying does not put grace into your cup. If you continue to give to other people from your cup without replenishing it, you will end up with an empty cup. You fill your cup with by an active spiritual life.  Start with spiritual reading, when something strikes you pause, move to prayer, from prayer to medication, from meditation to contemplation. This is how you fill your cup to overflowing, only give to others from the overflow.
What I did not realize was that I was only partially armed for the spiritual warfare in which I was engaged.  In a sense I had the arms and armour, but not the strength to use them effectively.

So what have I learned?  First, studying only makes your 'cup' bigger, you understand more, but without an active spiritual life, your cup remains only partially filled - or worse empty.  When it is empty the bigger the cup, the bigger the fall.

I have attached some resources (mostly for myself).  I have found the writings of St. Alphonsus particularly nourishing as well as my long time companion: The Imitation of Christ.

Another thing to keep in mind when practicing an active apostolate: if you do not practice the virtues in doing so (patience comes to mind first and foremost) then you risk doing more harm than good.

No matter how a person attacks you, remain patient and do not take any of the assaults personally. Bear them for the honour and glory of God, and offer them for the person's conversion.

Remember:
P^3
Prayer
Penance
Patience

God Bless!!!

Resources


St. Alphonsus de Ligouri
http://www.goodcatholicbooks.org/alphonsus.html

Imitation of Christ
http://www.internt.net/equipsaints/Imitation%20of%20Christ%20-%20Thomas%20a%20Kempis%20%28edited%29.html

State or Way (Purgative, Illuminative, Unitive)
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14254a.htm

Contemplation
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04324b.htm

Prayer
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12345b.htm


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning and Evening and other sundry Prayers

+ JMJ Along the theme of P^3 (Prayer, Penance, Patience), and for my own reference ... here is a collection of Morning and Evening prayers from the Ideal Daily Missal along with some additional prayers. In this crisis of the Church, I do not think it is possible to do too much prayer, penance and have patience. P^3

Is it sinful to attend the Novus Ordo (New Mass) - Is it Sinful to Not Attend the Novus Ordo on Sunday?

+ JMJ A non-SSPX Catholic is upset over the SSPX statements on not attending the Novus Ordo Missae. Ladies and gentlemen, what the SSPX, or at least its website editor, is advocating is a mortal sin against the Third Commandment.  Unless the priest deviates from the language of the Sacramentary, the consecration, and thus the rest of Mass is to be considered valid.  No one may elect not to attend Mass simply because abuses are occurring therein.  Might I suggest that such absenteeism is its own abuse?  The Third Commandment binds under mortal sin.  Father So-And-So from the SSPX has no authority whatsoever to excuse attendance at Mass, be that Mass ever so unpalatable. Source:Restore DC Catholicism Well, this is interesting. First why does the SSPX issue this statement? Because it is sinful to put your faith in danger by attending a protestant service.  It is likewise dangerous to put your faith in danger by attending a protestantized mass (ie the Novus Ordo Missae

Remember this day March 25, 1991 - The Death of Archbishop Lefebvre

+ JMJ This is the day, 25 years ago, that Archbishop Lefebvre passed on to his eternal reward. I know that he has as many (perhaps even more) critics than admirers.  For example I still remember Fr. Paul Nicholson's screed in which he shouted from the top of his webpage: "To die excommunicated - how horrible". I'll leave aside Fr. Nicholson's ignorance on the matter as in the grand scheme of things, his impact on the life of the Mystical Body of Christ, which IS the Roman Catholic Church is no greater than that of Michael Voris etc. Archbishop Lefebvre and the work he founded (ie Fraternal Society of St. Pius X ) have had a significant impact. Let us list of few from greatest to smallest: Consistent and constant Catholic perspective on the crisis of the Church from the halls of the Second Vatican Council to the Synod on the Family (and beyond!) Summorum Pontificum and Universae Ecclesiae : By which the restoration of the sacramental life of the

Can I attend SSPX Mass? Is it sinful to go to SSPX for Mass? Does it fulfill my Sunday obligation?

 + JMJ   As the 'roll out' of Traditiones Custodes continues, I think more Catholics will be asking this question. Here are some answers. P^3 Attached below is the more recent of the two statements, see link for the earlier contradicting one :-) Letter by Msgr. Camille Perl Regarding Society of St. Pius X Masses Una Voce America has received a communication from the Pontifical Ecclesia Dei Commission, concerning an article which appeared in The Remnant newspaper and various websites. At the request of the Commission, we are publishing it below. Pontificia Commissio "Ecclesia Dei" January 18, 2003 Greetings in the Hearts of Jesus & Mary! There have been several inquiries about our letter of 27 September 2002. In order to clarify things, Msgr. Perl has made the following response. Oremus pro invicem. In cordibus Jesu et Mariæ, Msgr. Arthur B. Calkins Msgr. Camille Perl’s response: Unfortunately, as you will understand, we have no way of controlling what